Sunday, September 3, 2017

August 31st was R-day!

August 31st was my last day of work.

The day started with my leaving a quick, cryptic post on my Facebook page, simply stating that August 31, 2017 was R-day.  Then, I got ready to leave our home for my last day of my working life.

Bill & Maggie stood at the front window to wave good-bye, in their usual spots, but this time, Bill had asked me to stop and wave, as he wanted to take a picture.  As I drove to the office, I thought about the finality of this last commute.  There were so many well wishes and farewells from my co-workers, including a surprise video conference from the team in Montreal, wishing me well.  The whole day was quite humbling, with so many seeking me out to wish me well, with hugs, cards and gifts.

I had planned to leave at 3 p.m., to avoid traffic.  But was able to leave earlier and ask I headed to my old nemesis, the 401, the Snowbirds flew overhead.  I shrieked, I was so excited!  And true to form, the 401 did not let me down:  I had to face the nasty commuter traffic one last time, this time with a smile.

At home, there were cards and gifts and I quickly made some calls to thank folks.  And so many heartwarming responses to my earlier Facebook post.  Then, I settled on to the patio to the enjoy the moment I was waiting for:  an ice cold martini, while stretched out, toes wiggling in the sunshine.



At suppertime, Bill & I walked off to our favourite restaurant, Pasqualinos, with plans to sit at the bar, have a drink, and share a salad and pizza.  Then we spotted our good friends, Pat &Martha walk into the restaurant with a bag of gifties.  They came to join us for supper and we had a wonderful evening with them.  Afterwards, we had to ask them to drive us home, as the gift bag was just too heavy, along with the box of leftover pizza.

It was a memorable day, ticking all the boxes.  And now, three days later, I catch myself waking up and still thinking about work and things that I still feel I need to do!  When does this stop?

So now, a new chapter begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment