This past weekend, Bill & I headed to the great southwest (of Ontario), to spend some time with our family.
My cousins were both turing 60 this month and one of them was throwing a big party to celebrate. I have two cousins who were born on the exact same day, in 1957, in the same hospital and their parents named them both "John". So, as we all grew up together, we would refer to them by their middle names or initials: John J. and John Charles. John Charles became John or Charlie.
He and his wife hosted a wonderful party on Saturday evening, at their beautiful family home, outside of Chatham. They generously provided all the food and libations and then topped the evening off with a great band.
For me, the best part of the evening, was having some good conversations with some of my cousins and catching up on their lives. So nice to do this at a party, rather than at a funeral home. One of my cousins had recently separated and I wanted to hear how she was doing (amazing!). Another had a stroke last year and her recovery was well on its way. So proud of her! Another was telling me stories of how he will often hop a plane and travel with an in-law, who likes to fly the globe at the drop of a hat.
It was so good to reconnect with them. I kept thinking back to when we were all kids and then looking at where we have all ended up, 50 - 60 years later. Still loving each other, through common bonds, blood and upbringing.
Bill & I are hoping to move back to my hometown area. I cannot wait to step back into these relationships again. They meant so much to me, when I was young, before life, work and distance put space between us.
No comments:
Post a Comment